Features Request

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Features Request
  • Hi Andy.

I'm not sure how auto tune works but in Ohm Studio every VST plugin can have a MIDI In.
    Right click on the plugin in the Mixer and choose "add track for..."
    Then in the Track Header, click on the Arm Record button and the plugin should receive incoming MIDI events, for exemple from your MIDI keyboard.

About the Pre / Post fader mode, I think it's already there, unless I misunderstood you.
    https://www.ohmstudio.com/doc/glossary/send

And "on the fly" time stretching when changing the project tempo is currently not possible because the time stretch technology we're using is not a "real time" algorithm.

If we wanted to use this same algorithm in order to get that kind of on the fly time stretch (like in Ableton Live), then that would mean that a new audio file would be created and uploaded for each Audio Pattern each time the project tempo changes.

• Hi andy

andymc said:

1. with automation, selecting all and dragging left and right compresses and expands it, could this be possible with midi segments. It makes things much easier in case where say a part if laid but it needs to be double the tempo, normally its a click and drag so say half the size it was.

There's actually a way to do that... although not as convenient as the method you describe I must say.
    First select the Automation Points you want to "stretch", then in the "Action" menu choose "Event position" then choose "Speed" in the pop up window.
    https://www.ohmstudio.com/doc/how-to/quantize

andymc said:

With the Time stretch I sorta meant that, to be able to pull it up on a piece of audio and create a new bit, as a temp solution. Eventually I guess ya have options like purge unused audio for say owners of tracks etc, or creators. Can always have a WARNING! this will delete unused audio local and remotely.
    I see when a piece is copied that it doesn't create new and uses whole part from before, so is ohm not making edits or these stored too as new?
    I ask because it's great copying whole complete record but sometimes edits are only say 1 bar of a 16 bar record, and if they are being copied, stored in mem then this is a bit wasteful. I by habbit grab a bit, add some fx on it then bounce it as a new piece of audio to a new track, grab the audio put it where i want it then delete the track it created when I bounced to new track.
    I'm happy doing this but might be better for most to say right click bounce segment then when it's bounced it sticks to the pointer until placed somewhere.
    Also then then maybe same option again but timestretch like when version could be there too, so someone can bounce say a 4 bar segment right clicking then also time stretch it too, this in itself allows for new creative things too.
    It would be better when copying a segment say whilst we hold ALT and drag with mouse to just copy what's shown and not the whole recorded part. Maybe ohm reuses but if it don't then this woudl save on disk and memory usage. I'm sure I see like edits in the cache folder but named different.

When you duplicate an Audio Pattern with ALT+Drag and Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V, Ohm Studio does not create a new audio file.
    When you Clone a project, Ohm Studio does not create any new audio file.

On the other hand, when you use Bounce to new Audio Track, Ohm Studio "records" the output of a plug-in into a new audio file, both locally and on the server.

We'd like to have a "purge" function one day, at least on the server side to free up disk space.
  • Hi andymc.

andymc said:

One last thing, you know a few been mentioning audio setup being a problem for n00bs, well maybe first off we need Normal and Expert Mode, so in normal it can say add Mono Input, Add Stereo Input, Add Multi Channel Input.
    Then have some simple tips like 1 or 1/2 is typically Mic for most and 3/4 Line In.
    Maybe hover tips for mono stereo and multi channel saying something like Mono is typically used for Mic, Bass or Guitar Inputs, Stereo is typically used for Synthesizers or L and R inputs, Multichannel is typically used for multiple inputs like used on Drums.

Ok we'll try to improve the Audio Setup screen so that it is more "noob friendly".
    As for sharing your Audio Setup with other users, that would be very complicated actually.
    It would be easier to use a screen sharing software like Skype.

andymc said:

On the right plan can it default to nice big buttons saying:

Start New Project

Join Public Project

Open Project

Share Project

Settings

Then when clicked they start a new, bring up public list, bring up my projects list, share window to invite, get link to mixdown and so on.
    This will help LOADS new comers. Also a little check box, show this at start up so people can still have old view with out splash on the right.

When people join Ohm Studio for the first time, their Dashboard actually looks like that.

• -Waveshell support please :)
    -More intuitve way to make a fade in/out, maybe a drag a the top corner of items
    -add auxiliary input in the rack when the rack contain a sidechain compatible plugin, even if there's a instrument or other plugins before in the chain. Actually i think it's too much complicated to make a simple comp sidechain
    -possibility to customize shortcuts.
    -go to start/end loop poitn shortcut
    -option to set the spacebar as "play, return to start position automatically" instead "play, pause"
  • And of course, loop record with overdub, replace, stack takes options, please!!!!!!
  • -Audio (wav and rex compatible) and midi loop browser with preview in tempo of the current song and option for half or double tempo preview.
    -handles at the edge of the audio clips (maybe with a hotkey like alt) to adapt manually the size of audio clip with timestretch

because a lot of people uses loop in several format, and the actual method to timestretch is really non-intuitive and come from past
  • Something crossed my mind while using OhmStudio.

I think users should be able to have a "share this plugin" button, that would download the vst plugin to the other users computer.  I am not sure if there are legalities involved in this, but if it was freeware that is ok to freely distribute, it would make a lot of sense to automatically download this to the other machine to sync the project.  Obviously, payware wouldn't be like this, but it would be a great way to sync up and save time.  Not sure if it would be possible to have it load into memory realtime, but having it download would definitely be a nice start.

• pitch shift
    reverse clip
    crossfades
    color for tracks & items
    better automation management
  • -waveform follow volume edit (item volume, fade in-out)
    -handle (or knob) a the top edge of audio items to set the volume, instead (or in addition to) the volume function in sample properties
    -mute individuals midi notes function
    -quantize end of note option
    -IMO the modular view is a REAL mess for just simple outputs features like send and group, and unfortunaly actually it's the only way to set outs. for users who don't like the modular view, please add a simple dropdown menu on the mixer to choose send and direct out destinations.
    -0db line in waveform display
    -group items
  • -when we edit a plugin, it disable the spacebar control for the sequencer's transport! it's a waste of time
  • -possibility to open gui plugins of a rack directly in the sequencer view (even for plugins without track).
    -more than one hardware stereo out, need to tweak audio signal with external hardware devices. i suppose there's currently just one hardware out for keep the compatibility of the "audio signal flow" with online contributor. but this action (to route signal to other hardware outputs) can be only a private settings for each user, on the condition of the output signal of all tracks continue to play on the master
  • -Duplicate tracks function
    -Hotkey (alt) for scissors tool (like cmd/ctrl for pen tool)
  • -Groove tools: extract groove from a midi part, more options for quantize like swingn strenght...
    or better, something like regroove in reason :)
    -as we now some vsti (specially sampler devices) need a manual sync for contributors, ok. But when we work alone on a project we don't need to sync each devices after modifications (because there's no contributor), and if we don't check each vsti sync one by one, and close the project we lose last modifications. too bad...
    so i suggest that ohmstudio send automatically sync of all devices when the user close the project
    maybe a "all vst sync" button could also be a good idea...
  • -Save rack with plugins as preset
    -Save vst state as preset in a proprietary ohmstudio format
  • -possibility to move aux tracks where we want
  • -ability to rename Aux racks
    -hide/ rename vst plugins in vst preferences
    -ohmstudio internal dry-wet rotary for all fx plugins
    -other option for arrow in sequencer view:
    left/right = backward-forward
    up/down = select previous/next track
    -automatic rec arm when select track option
  • -reduce number of points option in automation edit
  • -consolidate selected patterns function 
  • Hi

falkon303 said:

Something crossed my mind while using OhmStudio.

I think users should be able to have a "share this plugin" button, that would download the vst plugin to the other users computer.  I am not sure if there are legalities involved in this, but if it was freeware that is ok to freely distribute, it would make a lot of sense to automatically download this to the other machine to sync the project.  Obviously, payware wouldn't be like this, but it would be a great way to sync up and save time.  Not sure if it would be possible to have it load into memory realtime, but having it download would definitely be a nice start.

That sounds like a good idea but that would be quite complicated both from a technical and legal perspective.
    Maybe one day it will be possible to rent 3rd party plugin for a certain amount of time in some sort of online store, but not anytime soon!

-when we edit a plugin, it disable the spacebar control for the sequencer's transport! it's a waste of time

This one should be fixed soon!

-ohmstudio internal dry-wet rotary for all fx plugins

Actually there's already a dry-wet parameter available for all FX in the audio engine but unfortunately it is well hidden inside the Plugin Inspector at the moment.

Thanks
  • Thanks orange_force for your precisions

-automations are written in pattern, it's a good idea but i think the daw missed the advantage of it. the parameter value must return to initial value when there's no pattern in playback instead to stay at the last known value cf: the automation system in reason (very similar to ohmstudio in fact with pattern automation items but with initial value settings too), imo it's the better automation system i've seen in daws
    -desactivate "record raw cc" by default
  • Dear OHM Force, it would be possible to have anonymous login please.For privacy work before anything else.Thank you very much!
  • Hey ch4muko,

What would you call an anonymous login?
    Or, in which way the actual system doesn't let you be anonymous? I mean, email is hidden, so you can create yourself any account, say for instance "I_Love_Mauve" which would make you super anonymous...
  • Ok. Thanks for answer. Before anything else, let me say that english is not my native languaje, so maybe that's why I couldn't explain exactly why I meant.
    I would like to login in a disconnect state to work in complete privacy before ohmies can see I'm in. I hope I explained a little better.. Thank you very much again. :)

• Hello,
    I'm not
    sure I want people to walk on my projects and I cannot see them. In all social networks, visibility is a (little) guarantee that things go not too bad.
  • Hi

Indeed something that would be technically possible is to be invisible in the General Chatroom and also maybe invisible in your friends contact list.
    But it's not possible to be invisible in a project chatroom because that wouldn't make sense to work on a same project with someone else without knowing who it is :)

• andymc said:

Maybe show in offline mode in lounge and contacts but show as normal in project.
    I get  this request, if ya have stuff to do sometime there may not be time to be social.
    People can misinterpret this as rudeness when its just someone is busy in rl and on ohm at same time.

But if someone is in your project it should show them, maybe with a red light or other colour light showing busy.

Completly agree Dear Andy. Is what I want! I don't want either people to walk on my projects and I cannot see them.It's not my intention to be rude of course.
  • Hi OHMstuudio.
    Nice work! Well done.
    I work 100% to picture and would love to have an uploadable picture option. This would also allow for sound FX, and bring a whole new world of music & sound people to your project. Right now, I'm working on a feature film & the sound guy (location sound, foley, sound design etc) is 2000km away. It would be great to put the project online & collaborate with him. And there are a million other just like me out there. Pictures please.
    Thanks!

• Hi and THANKS. When a project is saved can it be saved with the chat window closed. Then it loads exactly as saved?
    regards,
    Antonio
  • I would welcome an external audio file editor functionality where we could at any time run our favourite wave editor to do offline processing on a wave ...
    Thanks / Merci !
  • I'm just going to make a simple, but useful request.

Would like to have the arrow keys on our keyboards be used to go forward and backward a bar. And maybe the < and > keys go forward and backward 8 bars (so we can jump through the song quicker).
  • Here's my top three features to make it easy to work with our favorite workflow sequencers:

1. Import / Export universal AAF formats (as defined by SMPTE standard and used by ProTools, Logic Pro, ...)
    It recognizes more than audio files (ie automation tracks, track references, etc ...)
    2. Please make the AUX output on any other AUX, not only master.
    -> so minimum routing capabilities to permit as an example group (sub-mixes) tracks
    3. in place external audio editor: for any any audio part, open the corresponding audio file in your favorite audio editor to achieve advanced offline and destructive processing.

Thanks Ohmies for this nice software !
  • Hello, I'm enjoying my initial foray into the world of Ohm and I have a a couple of suggestions:

It really could do with a built-in reverb plug-in. What would make it a unique and versatile tool for Ohm Studio is the ability to load an impulse response and have it saved with the project, so anyone opening the project is guaranteed to get the same reverb sound.  

Some more standard instrument plugins would be really useful too - a simple sample player loaded with General MIDI sounds would be a great start.

Great work so far though.

Chris (MrPhosphorous)
  • 2. Please make the AUX output on any other AUX, not only master.

-> so minimum routing capabilities to permit as an example group (sub-mixes) tracks

To do that it's recommanded to rather use the modular routing, actually.

• @mrphosphorous

Well, there are plans for that ^^

• Better/lower buffer size options? My RME Babyface can do better than the current lowest of 64 ;)

Ableton Live actually lets me drop to 14 o.O Lowest possible under OS X for this interface iirc.
    Even Studio One lets me hit 32.

Yeah, I can get better latency with higher sample rates, but given the online nature of Ohm Studio I really don't want to use 96kHz+ >.>