How to uninstall OR reset Ohm Studio

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How to uninstall OR reset Ohm Studio

• On Windows

06/04/2013 UPDATE: the Windows version of Ohm Studio now comes with an "Uninstaller" program.

First of all, make sure that there are no Ohm Studio processes running in the background:

1. Launch your Windows Task Manager (keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc])
    2. See if  ohm_studio_net_mp_host.exe  and  ohm_studio_guest.exe  are present in the Process list.
    3. If necessary, select each process and "kill" them by clicking on the  End Process  button.

If you only wish to "reset" Ohm Studio, step 4 and step 5 should be enough.

1. Remove the main programs

• Delete this folder:
    →   C:\Program Files\Ohm Force\   (Windows 32 bit)
    or
    →   C:\Program Files (x86)\Ohm Force\   (Windows 64 bit)

2. Remove the bundled plugins

• Delete this folder:
    →   C:\Program Files\Common Files\PTAF   (Windows 32 bit)
    or
    →  
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\PTAF   (Windows 64 bit)

• Then delete this folder:
    →   C:\ProgramData\Ohm Force\   (on Windows 7)
    or
    →   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ohm Force   (on Windows XP)

3. Remove log files

• Delete this folder:
    →   C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Ohm Force\  (on Windows 7)
    or
    →  
    C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\Ohm Force\   (on Windows XP)

4. Remove the "cache" folder

• Delete this folder:

→   C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\Ohm Force\  (on Windows 7)
    or
    →   C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Documents\Ohm Force\   (on Windows XP)

Note that this folder contains a sub-folder named Samples which itself contains all the audio files used in your Ohm Studio projects. If you wish to re-install Ohm Studio later, you can keep this Samples folder so that you don't have to download all these audio files again next time you open your projects inside Ohm Studio.

If you changed the default location of your My Documents folder to another folder (e.g. on another hard drive), you will find the cache folder there.

5. Clean up the registry

• Open the registry editor (Windows menu → Run and type regedit)

• In regedit, delete these keys:

→    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ohmstudio
    →   
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ohm Force\

6. Remove the shortcuts

• Delete the "Ohm Force" folder located in your Windows menu

• On Mac

1. Delete these 2 folders
    →    /Users/(your_username)/Library/Caches/com.ohmforce.Ohm_Studio_Beta_Reporter/

→    /Users/(your_username)/Library/Caches/com.ohmforce.OhmStudio/

2. Delete this file

→    /Users/(your_username)/Library/Preferences/com.ohmforce.Studio.plist

3. Delete the Ohm Studio application

→    /Applications/OhmStudio.app

4. Delete the log files
    →    /Users/(your_username)/Library/Logs/OhmForce

• Am I supposed to uninstall my old, crappy Ohm Studio each time before updating to the newer, awesomer version? Or is this only for those few strange people who actually want to uninstall Ohm Studio? Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.
  • hi artlegere and sorry for the confusion.
    No, you don't have to uninstall the Ohm Studio before installing a new version (it is done automatically).

This topic is intended for people who would like to erase everything installed by Ohm Studio.

Sometimes, it can also be useful to manually clean your preferences to "reset" the Ohm Studio, or to clean the Cache folder to free up space on your hard drive.

Thanks.

• Okay I just did this because when I added my VST folder it wouldn't allow me to open the DAW any more. I can't recall exactly what plugins were faulty but I had a read of the list in the other thread and I'm pretty sure they cover all my plugins
  • On Windows, you can just delete "ptaf-cache" and "wrapvst-cache" from ...My DocumentsOhm ForceOhm Studio to force a rescan of your VST folder(s) or to resolve problems with opening Ohm Studio.
  • Thanks pljones, will be very helpful in the future im sure
  • The discussion title was updated as multiple testimony showed that uninstalling the application and then re-installing it can solve problems related to the loading / scanning process.

We're trying to identify and then fix those bugs. But in the meantime, this seems to be the best solution
    :)
  • pljones said:

On Windows, you can just delete "ptaf-cache" and "wrapvst-cache" from ...My DocumentsOhm ForceOhm Studio to force a rescan of your VST folder(s) or to resolve problems with opening Ohm Studio.

This path does not seem to be there on Windows 7.
  • On Windows 7 it should be the following 2 folders:

C:Users(your_username)DocumentsOhm ForceOhm Studioptaf-cache
    C:Users(your_username)DocumentsOhm ForceOhm Studiowrapvst-cache

Unless you have changed the path to your "My document" folder of course.

Thanks
  • I have changed the path to my "My Documents" folder, and neither
    Ohm ForceOhm Studiowrapvst-cache
    nor
    Ohm ForceOhm Studioptaf-cache
    appear there.
  • You mention in another post that your "My Documents" library location is on a network share.  That's probably not a good idea for OhmStudio, as it cache data onto that location for use during the session, so it's likely to slow you down and, as Windows' network handling is pretty dire, could cause serious blockages, particularly given that your network will also be in use for collaboration.

(Off topic rant: I have to say I really, really dislike software dumping stuff anywhere without asking.  To have someone else assume they know how I have my computer organised feels invasive.  The installer also dumps an icon on my desktop that I have to delete, too...)
  • I agree with the disrespectful way the installation is handled. I tend to hate software that is provided with a propriety installer that i can not check what installs where. I also hate folders in wrong places. Why on earth would "Gforce" folder reside inside my /Library/ folder (MacOS) ? There is an Application Support folder for that purpose.

At least provide us with a clean uninstall option soon. Or post here every file ohmstudio creates or whatever..
  • Errrrrrr I know this is not a priority but it should be 

Uninstall-ohmstudio.exe 

I'm starting to get very feed up with it not working and leaving crap all over my nice clean PC.

• Please delete this account. The software did not work.
    Also, I agree that an uninstaller-type program would be efficient. However, given what I know now, I can understand the lack of uninstaller-type program.
  • I think that Ohm Studio just binds some complacent musicians. I don't like software that comes up in a forum with a huge Google Chrome Installer frame which is hard to close. And I don't like software which produces uncontrolled and unwanted internet traffic.

Now I decided not to use Ohm Studio any longer. Pity beacuse they had basic approaches. I'll check it out in a few years.....

Bye Ohms

•  And I don't like software which produces uncontrolled and unwanted internet traffic.

hey triton,

It is certainly an alternative between usability and protection of ?"privacy": Anyway, I do not think ohm studio sends all your private files to the CIA. And generally, as it intended to collaborative purpose, ohm studio facilitates wide collaborations. We only do music and ohm studio makes it more collective
    (this is the root of music, no?).
    I avoid all google (qui commence à me goooonfler!) products because they use data that we provide. With ohm studio, I do not really see any problems: the aim is precisely to facilitate the sharing

• Hi proton42,

I have asked the administrator to delete your account. Thank you for trying.

• I don't like software that comes up in a forum with a huge Google Chrome Installer frame which is hard to close.

Hi.

You should only be asked to install Chrome Frame if your browser is not up to date.
    It is a better alternative than asking people to pay a tax right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

:D
  • I have downloaded the program three times and also uninstalled it three times. When I come to launch the Ohm Studio it just will not connect to the server. I get a message that says Cannot connect server not reachable.
  • @Avidphoneme

Apart from the obvious have you tried to switch off the "firewall"  in PC or in router to "rule that out" and please put them back on after testing, don't want to make more problems.
    I could not get it to work for ages because of an VST issue which kind of sorted it's self out.
    Don't give up it is  BETA so let it go wrong and tell them.
    :D
  • ...And if all else fails, post the log files (using the reporter tool, if it'll work).
  • ohm_studio_guest.exe and ohm_studio_net_mp_host.exe need to be allowed through your firewall but even when allowed on some firewalls it may still block through put.
    If you can't connect or you connect but tracks seem to keep downloading but not get anywhere, or you join a project then you see someone's track being sent to you but it hangs, then try turning off the firewall, rejoin the room then let it receive proper then on the firewall again.

For windows if you allowed the ohm_studio_net_mp_host.exe but seem to still have problems then manually add the file to the firewalls allow list, this will be the default path.

C:Program FilesOhm ForceOhm Studioohm_studio_net_mp_host.exe

and also

C:Program FilesOhm ForceOhm Studioohm_studio_guest.exe

Also allow this file too so when you crash bugs are reported properly to ohm force.

C:Program FilesOhm ForceOhm Studioohm_studio_reporter.exe
  • ok, after some looking I found these instructions. still very complicated.  :-B
  • An update on this "uninstall issue":
    we have started working on an uninstaller program on Mac and hopefully an uninstaller for Windows will follow.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • On a Mac, once we delete the folders/files you mentioned, will that completely remove Ohmstudio from my Mac? I just want to rescan my plugins. Is this the way to go still?
  • Rescan is simple : add or remove a vst from the rep you want to be rescan. Every time there's a change here, there's a rescan...
  • Changing the VST path directory in the preferences menu should also trigger a re-scan next time you launch Ohm Studio.
  • red_force said:

Rescan is simple : add or remove a vst from the rep you want to be rescan. Every time there's a change here, there's a rescan...

What does Rep mean and where is it?

• Changing the VST path directory in the preferences menu should also trigger a re-scan next time you launch Ohm Studio.

Unfortunately that didn't work. I deleted my VST path (and choose a similar path: 'components' on Mac), closed and opened OhmStudio, then opened again and it didn't change anything.Same VSTs still show with no new ones. Soundtoys just won't show. 

I've bought a few other plugins recently and they show no problem after I loaded then up on my Macbook. There must be an issue with Soundtoys products.
  • Rep = repository (ie the path you've indicated for your vst plugins). You can use a dummy plug in dll that you add & remove from it each time you want a rescan or change the extension of any temporarily...
  • <deleted -- misread red>
  • After 4 cleanups and reinstallations i still cannot access my own projects, still the same issue:
    So, sorry to say, that Ohmstudio seems not to work with my audiophile soundcard and win 7 64 system. Probably i keep this account only to the end of this month as i don´ t see any solution.

• Fyi, Soundtoys showed up on the scanned plugin list all of a sudden. I didn't even do anything. Just one random day I went into Ohm Studio and Soundtoys were scanned and I can now use them. I'm guessing the guys at Ohm addressed this in an update. Glad to be using Soundtoys again.
  • After 4 cleanups and reinstallations i still cannot access my own projects, still the same issue:
    So, sorry to say, that Ohmstudio seems not to work with my audiophile soundcard and win 7 64 system. Probably i keep this account only to the end of this month as i don´ t see any solution.

Hi peter.
    We are aware of sound card related problems with Ohm Studio.
    Ideally we'd need the same hardware in order to reproduce and fix these problems but of course that's not possible most of the time.
    The next update will focus on improving Ohm Studio's automatic crash report system on Windows. This won't solve your problem right away but will give us more information and hopefully will help us find a solution before the end of the beta testing period.

Thanks

• UPDATE: the Windows version of Ohm Studio now comes with an "Uninstaller" program.

• cool, thanks
  • yeah i found this to be very handy way to do it. good job team ohm.