How does audio transfer work?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How does audio transfer work?
  • I tried OhmStudio last night with a friend and we were both amazed at the possibilities of real-collaboration. We were tweaking synths and plug-ins and it was audible to the other person. The best part was that each of us could be working on a different part of the track, and have that part looped while the other worked on something else independently. This is the DAW of the future for sure!

One thing that wasn't working, or we did not have it properly set up was the transfer of audio files we inserted. For example my friend inserted a kick sample, and it was just not coming to my computer. There was an animated icon showing that it was loading, but the sample never arrived. What do we need to set up to make audio transfer work?

Thanks!
  • Hi Toth,

If you drop an wav or aiff file on an audio track (and not MIDI one), it should be seemless. We had some server issue last night, could you retry ?
    Another issue could come from a firewall. 

Keep us post!

Franck
  • The problem appeared on my system too. I inserted a kick and snare samples, but both of them weren't loaded, and only animated icon was in left corner of samples.
  • I'm having the same problem here, we get the vsti's working, but the audiofiles just dont play a sound + it loads infinitely if your friend drops a file in the project, both ways the same

• About transfers, there could be a system that blocks the transfer starting too immediately. Let me explain: when I record, I sometimes repeat 10 times a passage, I stop sometimes after 10 seconds. But ohmstudio immediately sends recording, So that the program is slowed for a moment. Maybe, an option immediate transfer / transfer delayed of 3 minutes ?
  • It's surprising that you can notice a slow down honestly. Is that with your new computer, or the old one Alex ? 
  • Yes, it seems to work better with my new computer!  8-}
    The problem appeared at the level of connection. I think my old computer had trouble to read/record simultaneously to up/download. I experienced a lot of micro-cuts (it was a 2005 notebook... 8-X  ).
  • kimik said:

I'm having the same problem here, we get the vsti's working, but the audiofiles just dont play a sound + it loads infinitely if your friend drops a file in the project, both ways the same

Hi kimik. Are you on Mac or on Windows?
    We released a new version yesterday that fixes a bug on Mac similar to the one you describe. Can you confirm that you still have that problem?

alexone said:

About transfers, there could be a system that blocks the transfer starting too immediately. Let me explain: when I record, I sometimes repeat 10 times a passage, I stop sometimes after 10 seconds. But ohmstudio immediately sends recording, So that the program is slowed for a moment. Maybe, an option immediate transfer / transfer delayed of 3 minutes ?

Hi alexone. There are indeed some performance issues when uploading/downloading samples because they compressed/uncompressed at the same time and many computer are not powerful enough to do that and playback a project at the same time (both the CPU and Hard Drive speed will impact performance in this case). In the future, we want to use Private Audio Tracks to "delay" the synchronization of samples with the server until the samples are moved on a Public Track. But that's a little bit complicated so that'll come later.

Thanks
  • With my new configuration, I have a problem, precisely when files are loaded and I recorded at the same time.
    There is sometimes a strident noise for about one second, which is accompanied by a little jump of the music. I think that it comes from external e-sata drive where I stores files.
    I try to remove the maximum services and process in the background.
    What are the recommended settings for hard disks, applications priority...?

My config: Windows seven, i5 2.5GHz, 16GB, e-sata II 7200
  • Ok I've solved my problem
    I was using the LAN in order to optimize up and downloads. I had sometimes strident noise for one or two seconds, with a jump of recording. I remove all windows services, anti-virus, etc ...without result. So finally, I just tried to use wireless network instead of wire-network. And the problem disappeared!? There must be a driver problem or a conflict between WLAN and LAN ( nevertheless, I think having disabled the WLAN).
  • Damn, computer are complex things. If it's not one thing, it's another !