Problem with long midi recordings

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Problem with long midi recordings
  • Whenever I record a longer midi sequence (I mean more than the usual 8 bars), the sequencer "thinks a lot" before displaying it and then becomes unresponsive for awhile (it can remain unresponsive longer than a minute). This happens to me with 100% probability. It doesn't depend on the vst the midi is sent to and the amount of time the sequencer stays unresponsive depends on the length of the midi I recorded. Not all the functions are unresponsive. The chat works, the vst continues to make sounds if I play the keyboard, but the sequencer is dead. If I hit play it moves the yellow line where it wants, shows the line walking but the bar counter is fixed and no recorded sound is played.
    The strange thing is that this doesn't happen with audio (which is much more information to be transferred)

Regards

Feng
  • Hi feng.

Thank you for reporting. Can you tell me what kind of data do you record?
    Is it only MIDI Notes, or only MIDI CCs, or a mix of both?
    How many Notes/CC do you record approximately? Hundreds? or maybe thousands?

After Ohm Studio becomes responsive again, what happen if you close the project and reopen it? Does it also become unresponsive again for a long period of time?

Thanks.
  • Recorded midi are notes and sustain pedal. Rarely pitch bend and mod wheel. As for the number of notes recorded, I think it can be easily hundreds, not thousand.
    After Ohmstudio become responsive again all is normal. What may be interesting is that, just before it gets responsive again, it executes all the instructions I gave in a very short time (as they were somehow buffered).
    I didn't notice anything after closing and opening again the project. 

Feng
  • Can anyone give me some feedback on it? This bug  (if it's a bug) is almost a workflow destroyer. Especially when you have to record multiple takes. I record a take and I have to wait (sometimes even minutes) for the program to become responsive again.
    It's very very very annoying.

Thanks

Feng
  • Hi feng,

The bug has been identified and should be fixed in the next Ohm Studio update.
  • Great news! 

Thanks OhmForce!
  • I still have the bug here. Any news?
  • Hi feng.

That bug was fixed several months ago, but it seems to be back unfortunately.

Thanks
  • A long long time ago I recorded a number of mega drum parts in midi on 4 or 5 tracks... This caused mammoth midi traffic resulting in admin messages to reduce the amount of midi recorded. I can not open the project any more.( freefall ask Jamie 57 ).
    Two questions.

1 = Is this the same bug  
    2 = What is the best way to monitor what I am recording.

I still want to record only in midi.    
  • It seems weird that low bit rate MIDI should cause any problems at all when syncing to the server.  I'd class it as a bug even if it's a different one :).
  • A long long time ago I recorded a number of mega drum parts in midi on 4 or 5 tracks... This caused mammoth midi traffic resulting in admin messages to reduce the amount of midi recorded. I can not open the project any more.( freefall ask Jamie 57 ).
    Two questions.

1 = Is this the same bug  
    2 = What is the best way to monitor what I am recording.

I still want to record only in midi.    

Hi,

It was not exactly the same problem.
    If I remember correctly, that project (freefall) was crashing because the program ran out of memory a MIDI Pattern that contained a lot of MIDI events had been duplicated several times inside the project.

Thanks
  • Thx for a reply on that.
    I still can't load the project to clean up my midi mess but still concerned as to why so much data was recorded in the first place .
    Yes I had recorded the drum track 4 or 5 times and was intending to edit the best of the best. 
    I have 8Gb or Ram but can understand it's not enough, but still wonder if there is something being recorded that should not be  ie so CC info or clock ticks etc etc ?
    Any recommendations to a VST that can show what's data been recorded or will that be the next "nick's trick" after "connecting to ohm-studio chat without using ohm-studio" . ;)
    If need be you could delete a couple of tracks to get it back but as a last resort of course. :-O