Be warned, project tamperers/trolls

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Be warned, project tamperers/trolls
  • My "breakbeat sort of thing" project I started when the beta was launched was tampered until it was sonically destroyed. The project was such a state of disrepair I was forced to delete all parts. 

I know this is a beta but if you don't want to take the risk of some half wit messing up the project for fun the make it private, not everyone on here has the intention of making music.
  • Just to add I think there should be a better server side undo than snapshots, I started the project when features were limited and didn't really understand what snapshots were. Everyone should expect to be able to undo everything no matter what's hidden in the options and preferences. The whole down side to collaborating which people online is that you don't know them, how was I supposed to know that whoever did it would? 

Yes I know it's a beta but it would be a whole lot worse if something like it happened live, while it was only a short loop and not the best thing ever it gained a lot of interest on here and had 100 members, all it took was one person to destroy that.
  • yep happened to me too, several times

a 'track/rack lock was mentioned, i think something like that is essential...so you could be public still, but safe from that bs
  • It's actually one of the few projects where I did something so I can only confirm we know the issue at heart. 

Server side undo would not work at all with real time collab. When you undo, you have to know what you undo, else it's a disaster.

One feature that has been discussed here is the ability for the owner to lock tracks, but there are also discussion about making backyp easier than "exit the project & clone it". 

• Here's an idea:
    File->Save
    That would allow the project owner (and only the project owner) to save the copy down "as is" (server side).  Also have a way of restoring from this point (File->Restore?).  Personally, if there's one save point, I think it should be enough.
  • red_force said:

It's actually one of the few projects where I did something so I can only confirm we know the issue at heart. ". 

Yes Red that drum track you added was still in there when I opened it, (good too) but everything else was pretty much mangled, basses and everything panned out far left/right, all EQ's boosted max, all effects fiddled with extremely, bad routings etc There was no way I could of reversed that would of tried otherwise, it was already a bit complex with the "spaghetti" routing from the pre-mixer ohm studio.

It would be nice to have a server side automatic "compulsory" backup of every project where you can go back in time to any save point say for example every hour the project is opened for, I believe snapshots were meant to do that but they are not compulsory so it kind of defeats the purpose.
  • Sorry to hear that.
    We had to disable "Snapshots" few months ago due to technical difficulties, but we'll bring them back one day.
    Meanwhile we'll try to find another way for people to easily save and restore their project without having to create numerous clones of that project.
  • owner being able to lock tracks seems the ideal solution imo...stiil wantiing people to be free to add, just not to delete parts

some users i dont know had laid some real nice vox and bass on my beats, today its gone...now that the stabilty issues are gone, this would be my #1 request/suggestion
  • I am new here so I don't know the issues but I have had too many collaborations messed up in the past. Now I back up everything to a drive that is not even on the internet.

This looks like a great place to be. I hope I can be of service to anyone.
  • Hi planobilly and welcome.

You may want to read these 2 articles before you start collaborating :)

https://www.ohmstudio.com/doc/glossary/project-properties
    https://www.ohmstudio.com/doc/glossary/project-rights

owner being able to lock tracks seems the ideal solution imo...stiil wantiing people to be free to add, just not to delete parts

We'll consider that. There will be technical difficulties but it should be doable.

Thanks