Professional Musicians and Amateur Musicians

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Professional Musicians and Amateur Musicians
  • It is amateur musicians who initiate, share and promote the culture of music. Professionals are mere servants of that culture. (They’re also the ones who make the money there is to be made in music, because doing things that other people want you to do for them is the stuff that pays.)
    The amateur’s job is to love music, and to engage with it deeply. It is the professional’s job to figure out what music lovers are willing to pay for, and then deliver it, consistently. This is no small task.
    Professional engagement with the music world is intrinsically difficult: It’s emotionally laborious, and although it demands incredible discipline, it can be incredibly unsteady work.
    Therefore, when professional musicians do figure out how to deliver what people really want and need and are willing to pay for, they can and should be rewarded handsomely.

0in;line-height:16.5pt;background:white;vertical-align:baseline">It is
    amateur musicians who initiate, share and promote the culture of music.
    Professionals are mere servants of that culture. (They’re also the ones who
    make the money there is to be made in music, because doing things that other
    people want you to do for them is the stuff that pays.)

The amateur’s job is to love music, and to engage with it deeply.
    It is the professional’s job to figure out what music lovers are willing to pay
    for, and then deliver it, consistently. This is no small task.

Professional engagement with the music world is intrinsically
    difficult: It’s emotionally laborious, and although it demands incredible
    discipline, it can be incredibly unsteady work.

Therefore, when professional
    musicians padding:0in">do figure
    out how to deliver what people really want and need and are willing to pay for,
    they can and should be rewarded handsomely.

Just something I read that I think rings true.

This was written by Justin Colletti

• I have no idea how to edit anything on this forum...lol

Sorry for the extra stuff.

• I think Billy has had his IT gene removed
    :bz
  • Yep...genetically defective, very cool, and all this time I just thought I a dumb ass.....lol