Few Questions that will help me a lot

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Few Questions that will help me a lot
  • Ok so, i hope some of you guys could help me by responding this questions ;)

- Makes you feel comfortable working with OHM and why?

-
    Can you think of anything that would improve this experience?

-
    Would you repeat this way of working and in what circumstances?

-
    Do you think it could replace the way of working in a professional
    studio?

• I feel comfortable working with Ohm because I don't feel intimidated by the experience. I enjoy it very much.

There are many things that would improve the experience, mainly small software issues. I think the main improvement would be to jam live with other musicians.

I would repeat this way of working all the time which is working from my home as a non-professional musician.

This could replace the way of working in a professional studio. The technology is there, but I think that it is unlikely that this way of recording will replace traditional studios. Musicians together in the same room work better than at a distance.

Hope that helps.

• Helps for shure, thank you so much! :)
  • Makes you feel comfortable working with OHM and why?
    The software is simple -- other DAWs may offer more features but the OhmStudio user interface is very approachable.

Can you think of anything that would improve this experience?
    There are many reasons I don't use OhmStudio as my main DAW -- the primary one being it doesn't have ReaNINJAM and that's really all I use a DAW for :).  (Having tried live jamming software, you're better off either using NINJAM or being in the same place, in my view.)

There are other reasons, though, that make it not my "go to DAW" for experimentation, mostly down to familiarity and time.  When I'm experimenting, I don't need to collaborate, so there's no pay back for the "pain", so to speak.  And I also do not have time to commit to projects, so I shy away from collaborations.

Would you repeat this way of working and in what circumstances?
    Certainly if I needed to be collaborating on a musical work with others in near-realtime, I would definitely suggest OhmStudio.  If the near-realtime aspect were not needed, then the advantages are limited compared with any other shared cloud storage and a chat channel, of course.

Do you think it could replace the way of working in a professional studio?
    I think it addresses a very different problem from what a professional studio environment addresses, so no.  (That's partly influenced by my opinion that you'll never have realtime live jamming on the internet to any usable extent except over such sort distances to make it nearly redundant.)
  • - Makes you feel comfortable working with OHM and why?

Yes, I particularly like the editing ergonomy (Rack and Track, shortening track)

- Can you think of anything that would improve this experience?

Sometimes I hope more precise editing tools, more effective magnifier, more precise mix and plugin controls.

And (
    I was forgetting):  LATENCY!!!
    Ohmstudio need huge buffer, it has a lot of more latency than cubase (with the same computer)

- Would you repeat this way of working and in what circumstances?

Yes, but unfortunately I have too few time to ohm. And collaboration take a lot of more time. Need to solicit, recall people. People do not respond, do not finish what they started, want something where they only have to lay the "icing on the cake", ... as in real life. There are many exception, but in general collaboration does not work on its own.. Need network lobbying.

- Do you think it could replace the way of working in a professional studio?

No. Ohmstudio can not replace a professional studio because it lacks a recording quality and homogeneity guarantee. I think there should be here more discussions about recording, sound, how to make good miking, sharing sounds and tips (plugins, proposals of  reamping, mixing each other).

Time ago,
    I tried to launch a public project about guitar sounds. But very few people participated (dispite a lot of lobbying)

http://www.ohmstudio.com/session/72943/reamping-test-guitar-players

Otherwise, for me, it lacks something indispensable for professional work : a secondary output bus (Out 3-4).
  • Very interesting read for us too. Thank you all.
  • The people make me feel comfortable for the most part. 

Many things could be done to improve the experience...64 bit software would be number one on my wish list.

ohm can no more replace a live studio than a video of a live band can replace the live performance

Working on line is nothing like working in a studio live.