Audio Interfaces - USB, Firewire, PC/Mac, Internal, External, Budget to High End

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Audio Interfaces - USB, Firewire, PC/Mac, Internal, External, Budget to High End
  • Which ones are good, better, best, good enough, which ones suck, worth the $$$, etc.   

This post is intended to share information about Audio Interfaces, features, functions, tech specs, selection criteria,  and actual experiences.

I personally advise purchase of an audio interface which is external, portable, and 24 bit and can work attached or detached from the computer. Even if you just wish to use your computer to playback audio/music, an audio interface makes quite a bit of difference in sound quality compared to built-in audio interfaces typically motherboard interfaces on computers.  For recording analog instruments  (guitar, bass, drums, vocals, anything mic'ed up)  an audio interface is truly essential for capturing full range of sound.

Say NO to motherboard audio !!!    

If you have spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on your instruments/amps/speakers/monitors/mics, you need to spend at least another $125+ for the audio interface to do it justice.

The links below provide a very comprehensive overview of interfaces, features and selection criteria

http://blog.cakewalk.com/daw-best-practices-how-to-pick-the-right-interface/

Feel free to post your equipment, experiences, opinions, and questions

Irockus - Firewire,  M-audio Profire 610, Mackie Onyx 820i -  PC Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

• MOTU traveller here, I'm dreaming of a RME UCX