rev 70727 bug

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

rev 70727 bug
  • I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. the Help menu is not functional in dashboard window: I can see each of the menu voices but when I click on them nothing happens
    2. When Ohmstudio crashes, there's no way to relaunch it without rebooting the OS (windows, in my case). This happens here with 100% rate. Each crash I have to reboot my system.

I would like to know if I am the only one experiencing that.

Feng
  • When OhmStudio crashes, it doesn't always stop running.  You need to check in Task Manager to see that no "ohm_studio_guest.exe" or "ohm_studio_net_mp_host.exe" tasks are still running before you try again.  If they're running, end them.  You shouldn't need to reboot if you do that.

(Of course, rebooting clears down all processes, so has the same effect.)
  • yes, i do the same : stopping each Ohmstudio process that's left behind still running after a crash allows to relaunch it without having to reboot the computer
  • Your answers make me very worried, because they mean that my system has some kind of special instabilities. Till the last update doing what you describe made Ohmstudio relaunch possible. This doesn't work with the latest update for me.
  • Could it be that there's another process still running after Ohmstudio crashed, maybe this has something to do with your sound card (asio ?) ?
  • I had trouble relaunching Ohm Studio after a crash too, even when closing the OHM processes.  It seemed to work after a reboot though.  That didn't happen in the past versions.  I sent in report with the Beta Reporter tool, but hadn't heard anything back yet.
  • I have the same trouble as fesick and feng since the last update : I need to reboot my computer after a crash, even after killing all the residual runing process.
  • My initial crash happened when trying to open a VST plugin console window that had a grey (!) on it, or perhaps when clicking the grey (!)... I don't remember which.  And then after trying to reopen OS, even with all ohm processes terminated, it wouldn't get passed the login screen.

What has been happening for me is that after opening ohm studio, I can open any of my songs just fine.  All my plugins load and initialize (no grey (!)s), I can open all VST console windows and everything works great (the 2 minute delay issue went away wiht the last update I believe).  If I close the song and open another that uses the EXACT same 2 plugins (Superior Drummer and Steinberg's Halion Sonic being used), my Halion tracks get a grey (!) even though they just loaded fine on the previous song.  It' is almost like they aren't unloading properly or something.

In 70727, clicking on the grey (!) or trying to open the console window crashed ohm studio.  And then after terminating all ohm processes and relaunching, it will crash before I can even log in again.  In the previous versions, I could still login and didn't have to reboot.

Also, my workaround for the grey (!) on my Halion tracks has been to completely close Ohm Studio every time I wanted to open a different song, which is annoying.  Hopefully the work around hasn't been elevated to having to reboot in between opening different songs.  I haven't tested it much since the crash and not being able to relaunch without rebooting.

In general, I've been fed up with ohm studio's many quirks and haven't been very motivated to use it much in the past several months after buying 3 lifetime subscriptions for myself and some friends.  Each update seems to be less stable and more quirky.  I'm feeling very uninspired!  I wonder if the beta period is still ending in 1 week, because I certainly don't see a product ready for prime time yet!
  • I wanted to say that I did not experience the same you, fesick. It is true that I use very few features. I'm basically a non-midi musician, and I do a moderate use of plug-in. I had problems saturday night to open a specific project, which happens very rarely. I find this latest version remarkably stable: I use it for several hours without any crash.

About stability, I noticed  for this last months several things:
    ohmstudio do not like sound card interruptions

ohmstudio do not like changing current directory
    ohmstudio do not like different versions of the same plugin (in the project and in the computer)

• I just installed the 70818 update.  It crashed the same way as I described above, except this time I didn't have to reboot to get back in.  It worked great on the first song I opened, closed it and opened another and again no working Halion Sonic tracks.  It still crashed when trying to open the console window for a Halion Sonic track that had a grey (!) over it.
  • Hi

We believe that 70818 update did fix the "reboot" issue described here. Can everybody confirm?

@fesick About your problem with Halion Sonic, I don't know what could be causing it. The grey warning (!) icon means that Ohm studio cannot load a plugin because it cannot find it.
    I have asked my partner to contact Steinberg to ask them to kindly send us an NFR of their Halion Sonic VST plugin so that we might be able to reproduce the problem and hopefully fix a bug.

Thanks
  • Would it help if I send log files?  I can clear my log files and go through the process of opening a song where it loads Halion just fine, close the project, then open a second project where it doesn't load Halion and I get the grey (!)s.  I'll even try to open the console window where it'll crash and burn.
  • I just sent my log files to the support email address.  One zip contains my logs from the recent fresh install of 70818 and having the issues I posted above, and another zip are from just going through opening the same song twice where Halion Sonic doesn't load the second time and the app crash from trying to open the console window.
  • Version 70818 solved the problem for me.

Thanks OhmForce

Feng
  • Hi Fesick.
    fesick said:

I just sent my log files to the support email address.  One zip contains my logs from the recent fresh install of 70818 and having the issues I posted above, and another zip are from just going through opening the same song twice where Halion Sonic doesn't load the second time and the app crash from trying to open the console window.

Good news: we received a licence for Halion Sonic, and today I was able to reproduce the bug you described.
    Now it's in the hands of our developer. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix it.

Thank you for your help.
  • Sweet!  Hopefully it's not a major issue.  I'll test the other levels of HALion that I have to see if they all show the same behavior (HALion Sonic SE that comes with Cubase, and the full HALion 4 package).  They all use the same engine, so I would imagine the problem/fix is the same for all.

While I'm at it, I'll test the other Steinberg plugins that I have (PadShop, Retrologue) and see if they suffer the same bug.

Thanks!
  • Steinberg PadShop Pro and Retrologue both did the same thing... they both show grey (!) just like HALion Sonic when opening the project a second time.  Hopefully the bug fix helps those out too.  I couldn't even add a HALion 4 track to my test project without it crashing (I was able to at least add it in the past).  I will try that again later when I have some more time.
  • 71120 didn't fix anything related to my Steinberg plugins...  Exact same results as before. :-(
  • Hi.

fesick said:

71120 didn't fix anything related to my Steinberg plugins...  Exact same results as before. :-(

Yes you're right we haven't fixed it yet. Actually this one will be harder to fix so it might take a little while, but we haven't forgotten!

Thanks