MIDI output

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

MIDI output
  • Having sold my children to purchase Roland TD20 / TDW20 drum module I'm some what concerned that I can't use it's wonderful sounds while midi controlled from Ohm studio.
    I have no plans to make a new child just so I can buy a drum VST so I need some why to get the midi out of the tracks! 

I have spent some time with Red-Force trying to find a work around and as yet nothing we have tried has been successful.

Anyone one done it yet ??????

I also request of the-Force that it be included into ohm studio REAL FAST ! Red knows the details but it looks like some kind of VST approach is the way to go to avoid the collaborative user interaction issues. 
    Ie you don't have the VST you can't adjust it hence the "freeze" option which of course would not be used but the result is the same.

Basically I want do is this

Record track with midi and audio ( so the other users can hear what I did )
    Edit the midi track
    Replay midi > OUT and Record Audio < IN  

My personal choice will be to use a stereo audio mix ( one track ) until the writing has stopped then record the drums as multi tracks for the mix down.

This approach also allows for other users to edit my midi track using an other VST plugin for referenc
    e. 
    But this would mean the Midi out would have to be pre or independent of VST and the VST used would need to be turned down or muted with out loss of Midi output signal.
    The best would be an midi out option on the track with standard out/channel selection options. 

• Your best bet is to use another sequencer to do your drum tracks and import the audio.  You're losing nothing that way as no one can collaborate with you on your Roland box.  The MIDI wouldn't sound anything like the Roland (which could be good for them, if they've got far better sounds in Kontakt for substantially less money... ;) ).
  • I HAVE GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to use the VST Midiout as an instrument.
    In other words drag it just like any other vst instrument to the mixer section.  

At the moment you can only send to channel 1 but it is possible to send it to others via external software. More on that later. 
    :-bd
  • pljones

I get your point but I want to keep it all in ohm.
    as far as collaborative work is concerned, if you don't have the vst you can't change a thing anyway so that's the same as not having the hardware. 
    And if some one wants a different sound because it's better ( ;P ) GREAT! why not .
    There is one other reason I didn't make clear.
    The TD 20 has 8 assignable audio outputs plus I could re assign and re record the  ambiance and the effects thus getting up to 20 channels. 
    I will be recording in 8 tracks as base soon any way but think it would be a lot easier and quicker to just just edit one midi file then 8 audio files.

• I'd really like to be able to always edit the MIDI behind a frozen-to-audio track.  It would then be a logical extension to render a MIDI track through external hardware and use the result as the "collaborative freeze".  I really think concentrating on getting the MIDI side of Ohm Studio more fluid would bring huge benefits.  For everything except drums, this idea is fine because Middle C means Middle C.

For drums, of course, whilst Roland map close to GM, even they have their own differences.  If you look at the range of drum kits out there, it's a nightmare.  Unless you're working on the same drum map, there's no way to even understand what the MIDI means, let alone be sure you're hearing something like what was intended.  (I play four different kits with my TrapKAT, each with a different map; even variations within a sample set - brushes vs sticks within ns_kit7, for example - can have subtle differences, before you start getting to things like the two Abbey Road kits, the various Analogue Drums kits, etc...)

For drums, you're pretty much working alone, I fear...  I'd love to hear ideas on how to get around this! :)
  • humm I see what you mean hadn't thought of that :(
    Nick leaves his computer, walks to hall and find s a good spot to smash his head a number of times against the wall.   
    Well the only solution would be world domination and standardization of drum notes which would mean a keyboard range of about 3000 Octaves.

On the other hand I could just be selfish and say I'm recording in midi so I can edit it and then present them with what I want.

Ok on a serious note ( F# ) I installed a VST called Drumkit1 one which had the basic stuff in "the right place" and worked fine.
    All I'm thinking of is the basic groove !
    I guess it's like saying "here is the chord sequence now play some notes ....humm that would feel better as a minor' !
    I just want the drums in there in midi so If some thing sounds great I can copy and paste etc etc. And then use it on any thing I want to ...some times you can create a great bass groove that way.

• Once the OhmBoyz get around to putting a sampler or at least a decent percussion synth into OhmStudio (yeah, yeah, busy guys, I know...), it'll make things easier, too.  Like you say, then you can lay out an idea to play around with before someone takes it on to finish.
  • Well drumkit1 is the simplest think in the world, works and is free so ...........they will get there in the end.    :) or we will just have to FORCE them !

Personally I think not being able to insert the Smiley's into these comments a far more important issue!! No VST's or hardware can fix that one !  

~X( ~X( ~X(
  • :bz The smiley face on the far left of the top toolbar?  WFM? :-/  (Although having tooltips for them might be nice...)
  • I'd really like to be able to always edit the MIDI behind a frozen-to-audio track.

Actually you can.
    - if you own the plug in, just deactivate the play bounce / speaker.

- if you don't, do the same then create a track with a relatively similar vsti. Duplicate the midi clip (all greyed out on the track where you don't have the vsti source) to the new one. Surprise ! Here is the part. You can now edit, then replace the one on the original track with it. Considering you need to hear something to do edit, I doubt we can vastly improve the way to do it than this anyway =)

Well the only solution would be world domination and standardization of drum notes which would mean a keyboard range of about 3000 Octaves.

Yeah, I considered that one too. So many times.

Once the OhmBoyz get around to putting a sampler or at least a decent percussion synth into OhmStudio (yeah, yeah, busy guys, I know...)

Actually I think our policy will probably rather be to make a good decent selection in the  free stuff that cover those things well on mac / pc and well tested in the OS. I mean, why to reinvent powder if there is not a real need too ? Especially considering the ton of cool stuff we could be doing that isn't covered yet. So doing what Nick does here is IMO a good trend : the more this selection will be made by user's experience, the more tested hence solid it will be. 

• red_force said:

pljones said:

I'd really like to be able to always edit the MIDI behind a frozen-to-audio track.

Actually you can.
    - if you own the plug in, just deactivate the play bounce / speaker.

- if you don't, do the same then create a track with a relatively similar vsti. Duplicate the midi clip (all greyed out on the track where you don't have the vsti source) to the new one. Surprise ! Here is the part. You can now edit, then replace the one on the original track with it. Considering you need to hear something to do edit, I doubt we can vastly improve the way to do it than this anyway =)

D'oh, of course... Good work around and better than actually amending the MIDI "in place" when you don't actually know what you're doing.  In fact, this pretty much goes for all "maybe this sounds better"-type edits: create a new track!