All my idea's

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

All my idea's
  • Since i have been getting many idea's on how to improve Ohmstudio as a workspace ... Red_force gave me a link to a forum discussion... but i lost it and then i thought i would just start another one... I'll try and be as specific as possible....##

- i've been spending some time in the modular view today, and again i realized that the modules are rather large compared to what they contain.... i cannot get any overview...i need to be able to zoom out, and for people that are using small screen also the Mixer is rather large..... also her a compact view would be good... i understand it is a lot work....but what to do... also in relation to this part... it would be nice if i could separate a module into 2... cutting it ! and creating 2 separate racks from it... so i can CF freeze the first part, and my buddy can help tweak the second part (where the frohmage and the ohmboyz are...) i suspect this might not be all that much work... 

- I had to get used to the scrolling and zooming a lot...(i always have to..)  and i've been shown about the quick zoom in zoom out buttons... but somehow moving to the center of my keyboard is not so natural.... I think that while over the arrangement if i press ctrl or ctrl-shift my cursor should become a hand so i can drag the arrangement when i'm zooming... (in..)  i could probably try using the overview and stuff, but i think this would be best !     And now to add to this... if you know Traktor it is easy to explain... if there i drag a track trough the view.... and give it a bit of  a sling, it sort-of rolls-on a bit... now that would be fancy !! and somehow i think it would not be all that hard to do...!? (eg. it's not actually something that has to change in the graphics... just in the translation of cursor(hand) movements...)  and something similar can be done with zooming...!!

- Obvious things, like Hiding the chat window hiding the plugin window, full-screen mixer and full-screen arrangement and even at some stage user defined lay-out presets, it sounds fancy, but the quicker i can get to the area in the rpoject i want to change something, the faster i can work, therefore i found that a windows structure actually works the fastest since i can bring the window i want to bring forward, is usually only a click away....   about the dual-screen bug... i found that even on a single screen if i adjust my window starting from the top-end.... strange things happen... hope that helps a bit in identifying the problem....

- I still find new things that were already implemented and i can see now how they work....  Relative snap is nice...! pressing ctrl in the automation window gives me a way to add an automation point ! and i suspect tere are more things i will find out...!

- About this... The Midi-editor is nice now that i worked out how to make it huge ! just the velocity lane is urgent !... i hardly feel to continue with some part of my project without it.... Curious how this will work after i rotate... :)

enough for now .. time to relax....
  • it would be nice if i could separate a module into 2... cutting it ! and creating 2 separate racks from it... so i can CF freeze the first part, and my buddy can help tweak the second part (where the frohmage and the ohmboyz are...) i suspect this might not be all that much work... 

Actually it's already here. Drag'n'drop a plugin out of a rack and it will create a new rack. You can also duplicate plugins, multiple select them...

if i press ctrl or ctrl-shift my cursor should become a hand so i can drag the arrangement when i'm zooming

I am thinking middle mouse button, at least on PC. That standard on a lot of software now :P

Thx for all the feedback. Overall most of it is "on the list", I think. Velocity Lane included =)

• Hi littlebear.

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback.
    I have agree with most of what you said.

I think the word that best describes the modular view is clunky :-S  It could become the best part of Ohm Studio's interface but currently it is the worst. I think it was around september of last year when we had to choose between spending time redesigning it or adding a mixer view... and we choosed to add a mixer as you can tell. But we still have plans for the modular view.

About new keyboard shortcuts: it always is a really though decision and assigning actions to keys like Ctrl/Shift/Tab/Enter.... is always risky as soon as you want to add new features. Overall we tried to identify the DAW market's "trends", I mean identify keyboard shortcuts shared among today's most popular DAWs... but we can still improve them of course.
    And if you have a video of Traktor to show me I'd be interested.

And things like velocity lanes and show/hide panels (chat, mixer...) are definitely planned too.

Thanks

• Well great to hear, i know you guys do great work, i made a video of traktor that might make it a bit more clear, i'll send it as a bug report i guess so i can just add the file... (otherwise i'd have to upload it to youtube and send the link...pff i'm lazy too sometimes....) Lastnight an issue showed up with someone who had a public project to which many had contibuted, but somehow someone had deleted a lot of stuff.. of course i recomended cloning the project at times, but the request for an action archive came up.... because of course you'd want to know who'd done that !! anyway, we learn the hard way, i did not lose a lot when it happened to me because i was actually there to watch it happen.. ! pretty cool, but not so nice since there wasn't anything i could do... also someone wanted to search for projects by attributes, which makes sense and probably is on the ''to do ..'' list...

Anyway, One other main suggestion i have to add to Ohmstudio, would be to have something like Quantum-fx and Synthedit.. internal... somehow smaller chunks prefab fx oscilators etc which can be compiled to usable fx and shared with others... the need for many internal fx is obvious since that would make collaboration so much easier and flexible...while also adding to the creative aspect by letting people design their own fx and to the educational aspect by explaining how certain things work... Of course this would be a fair distant future idea, but i think i  would make Ohmstudio one of the best DAW's ever !

On the subject of Shortcut-keys... my absolute favorite remains still Cubase's ''key-commands'' which lets you assign your shortcut keys your self... but that for now, the way to go would be to try and make Ohmstudio more intuitive, and the way to do that is by asking beginners about how the shortcuts are assigned in their opinion, and suggest them things and see what they would like... the longer you work with a program, the more you get used to the way it is setup, and the harder it gets to see what would be intuitive...   i'm now gonna try to use the ''GHJ'' a lot for zooming, eventhough it did not feel so natural for me.. but maybe i can work with it quickly... that is all i want to achieve for me personally...

more ideas will come to mind ... i will add these later...

• I thought i had added something about samplers, but now i don't see it...

I suggest to make a very simple single sampler player.. that does not require much CPU... just a settable root note, a range (for a drum hit a single key is enough.) maybe a rough pitch and a fine pitch and an ADSR envelope... if you then allow projects to be opened into each other,  you can build anything you want.. and import it into any project.. and they can be already on the web, and the sample licence issue can be resolved if the samples lose their filename and are not directly extractable... of course now i can also upload samples and share them as part of my project so the issue is also not quite clear to me..

• The issue I was speaking about the other day would be with existing sampler using existing sample banks being shared automatically. Which doesn't mean there aren't other that I am not thinking about :P
  • Now i realize that a hide rack function in the mixer is quite important... eg  hide a module from the mixer.... since with the drawing out of a rack creates a new rack... i might want to separate chains much more... (so i can collaborate freeze better...) and i don't need to see all of them in the mixer... in the modular view all should be visible... (for now... i have some ideas..)

also i think a input pin for audio track would be nice, now i can only create a rack with a CPU using plug in... sometimes i just want it for routing....
  • Again about the shortcuts... right now ctrl changes the cursor to a pen, which is practical for  drawing, but honestly i doesn't work like i want...(and maybe others...) if i click and drag on an empty space it should anyway drag, either a part or a midi note...
    now it even draws while on top of a midi part, overwriting was is underneath, i get used to it and i usually ''undo'' it, but it is not how i would prefer.....
     only while i'm drawing automation it has a real function, but more logical to would actually double click to create an automation point, but i understand it is tricky, but maybe you can get several configurations tested by a small group of people to see how they feel, or find a way to let people configure them themselves....  Ctrl & Ctrl-shift should in my opinion be the hand, although i guess middle mouse button would do,  touchpad would a different issue, but who uses that....
  • also i think a input pin for audio track would be nice, now i can only create a rack with a CPU using plug in... sometimes i just want it for routing....

I think you can get that by drag'n'droping a volume plugin on an empty spack in the rack view.

now it even draws while on top of a midi part, overwriting was is underneath, i get used to it and i usually ''undo'' it, but it is not how i would prefer.....

I get that too but sometimes it's exactly the way it works that is useful - and in any case, it's more consistant that way. That being said, it probaly could work as a razor in the case you're describing. Wich would be useful, at least to me (I cut stuff).

I use ctrl clic all the time to create patterns... note... Also the kind of test you are mentionning have been partially conducted during the closed beta, and resulted in a lot of design decisions you see right now. It's pretty difficult to please everybody, because everyone has some usage with different hosts. We're trying to find a middle ground that is acceptable to all, but it's tricky.

• Finding a middle ground is tricky, eventually something like the Key-commands (cubase) or the Controller editor (NI) would probably be the best... the controller editor would also give people the option of assigning faders to parameters, although as easy and user friendly as that is done in ableton it is not...  actually it is a whole study in it self... i think i'm gonna try how well i can work with my design pad i think...(it has assignable tap zones...) i will probably run into other issues...hehe..
  • Thank you for your ideas littlebear. I think you've got some interesting points.
    Although we're busy fixing bugs at the moment and probably for months to come, it's a good time to think ahead and prepare future improvements.